Entrance Requirements for the Online Bachelor's in Human Services and Counseling:
The following conditions apply for acceptance to the program:
- Each student must have completed at least one semester of college coursework with a minimum overall GPA of 2.25 before applying to the program.
- Each student is expected to complete an Application for Admission to the program prior to or as a part of the requirement for Introduction to Human Services (HS 2103).
- The application process also requires a letter of recommendation from each of the following people:
- A Lindsey Wilson College faculty member;
- A community leader; and
- An employer (if the student has never been employed, another category will be assigned).
- The student must have his/her advising file transferred to human services & counseling.
- A personal interview may be conducted by a committee of human services & counseling faculty and staff. This committee will review each application, letters of recommendation, and interview content. A majority of the committee must have a favorable recommendation for the student to be admitted into the program.
- Students will be notified in writing when the committee has acted on their application to the program. Possible committee action includes acceptance, probationary acceptance, or denial of admission.
- If admission is denied, the student may appeal to the dean for the School of Professional Counseling. If admission is denied, an alternative program of study will be recommended.
- Transfer students (as well as others out of the expected course sequence) should consult their advisor regarding the application process.
Along with the general education program, students must complete the major's prerequisite and core requirements as indicated.
Prerequisite: 3 hours
Core Requirements: 42-45 hours
- Principles of Psychology (PSYC 1003) is recommended for HS 2103 and is a prerequisite for HS 3103 -- 3 hours
- Introduction to Human Services (HS 2103) -- 3 hours
- Introduction to Counseling Theory (HS 2903) -- 3 hours
- Life Span Development (HS 3103) -- 3 hours
- Principles & Techniques of Group Counseling (HS 3113) -- 3 hours
- Abnormal Psychology (HS 3153) -- 3 hours
- Case Management, Intake & Referral (HS 3233) -- 3 hours
- Human Services Practicum I (HS 3503) -- 3 hours
- Research Methods (HS 4003) -- 3 hours
- Introduction to Counseling Techniques (HS 4153) -- 3 hours
- Ethics & Multicultural Diversity (HS 4253) -- 3 hours
- Assessment in the Helping Professions (HS 4293) -- 3 hours
- Substance Abuse (HS 4343) -- 3 hours
- Mental Health Administration (HS 4893) -- 3 hours
- Human Services Practicum II (HS 4943) -- 3 hours
- Human Services Practicum III (HS 4953) -- 3 hours
A comprehensive examination is required for the human services & counseling program. The exam is taken in HS 4953 during the second semester of the senior year. This examination is graded on a 200-point scale. A student must pass each section with 50 percent or better to pass. A passing grade is required for graduation.
Human services & counseling majors are required to earn a 2.25 cumulative GPA.